Thursday, September 24, 2009

AidilFitri 1430 H

Sadly, now it's time to say goodbye to Ramadhan and welcome in the joyous month of Syawal. For some reason, Aidilfitri this year seemed a bit lacklustre for me. Maybe because I'm getting older and the joy of Raya celebrations has worn off. Plus, I no longer am the one receiving the Duit Raya *sniffles* It didn't really help that I was be working soon after the celebration.

1 Syawal
I woke up amidst Mama's cries for Husna to get ready. I slept at about 1.00am the previous night, which makes me the earliest to hit the bed. I was actually intending to take a nap to be a little bit more energized for the raya cleaning but ended up sleeping for real. As I was getting my bearings, everybody else was also just stirring to life. I heard Abah go inside the boys room and said something to Zaim. Then, all of us shifted to full gear to get ready for Solat Aidilfitri. By the time I got out of the shower, Mama had left. So in the end, I went to the masjid with Husna. Because we were late, we had to pray outside on the cold , wet floor (because it was raining earlier in the morning). I'm a little embarrassed to say this but we didn't wait for the khutbah this time because we felt so uncomfortable and decided to go back home.
Mama and Abah had to be at the Istana by 9.45am. Zaim sent them there. So, whilst waiting for Zaim to return, me and the others lounged around and had the usual raya breakfast fare: nasi impit, rendang ayam, kuah kacang, masalodeh and soto. He returned earlier than we thought, which made me and the girls scramble to get ready. Before I forget, the theme for this year is Red for the Girls and Off-White for the boys. Why red? Because I wanted to have a Cassiopeia Aidilfitri. Hee..
As we were on our way to Nenek's house in Gombak, Mama called. They've finished their business at the palace. So we agreed to meet them at Gombak. It turned out, Nenek was at the kubur and nobody was ready yet when we got there. Once again, we took our time eating the spaghetti, laksa johor, and when Nenek got back, she made her cho umaei mihun hailam. Cik Ros and clan arrived shortly after which is when the house increased in volume significantly.

First up is the raya and duit raya part. We took turns in giving the money, starting with Nenek. I got some from her, Alhamdulillah. Then, it was the uncles, aunties and us. We also had a session just for our family. Next is the photo op. Not much though. Just a picture of all of the girls (except for Nani) on the staircase, reminiscent of the good old days.
We made our way to Tok Mat's house, Nenek's younger brother and had the mecchha umaei soto. Even after we've filled our tummies almost to the max, me, Husna with our two cousins were practically finishing off their supply of pineapple tart which is delish. Who can also forget their candy. We forgot to make one this year so we sneaked some out, with permission of course.
We split up with the rest at this point and went to the studio in Sri Gombak to take our Aidilfitri family photo. We felt a bit out doing this because we didn't do it last year. It felt somewhat new. And it was also the first time I'm standing right smack in the middle of the group. For the past years I was at the extreme left of the picture, which consequently allowed me to show off my baju raya. None of that tis year. Then we also took some passport pictures with the 'mengiring' pose. Haha.. Alang2...
Abah wanted us to see the house at Pinggiran Gombak, so that was our next stop. We took some pictures there while the younger ones do their thing... At last, we headed home for some RnR. But not before we took some group shots even though we were SOO tired. We just haven't had time to take a picture of the five of us together.. So...

We were out again by 8.30 that night and headed to our usual destination for Raya night: Nek Long;s house in Kota Damansara. We were the first ones in our group to get there. So, once again we had ample time for picture taking. Then, we sat ourselves down and enjoyed their raya offerings. all of it (sotong sambal, sate ayam, rendang) were heavenly. The next stop was supposed to be Mok yah's (Abah's younger sis) house in Shah Alam but we found out that they have all gone balik kampung. What else could we do but head home..
2 Syawal

We woke up quite early because we wanted to go visit our grandfather's grave that morning. Afetr we recited the Yassin, we cleared the area for a bit and then, we went to Cik Ros's house . We spent quite some time there. I even managed to sleep for a good half an hour. We took our time eating at her house. I helped her out a bit at the kitchen. And guess what she brought out for desserts? Baskin Robbins icecream!!

We went to Nenek Salmah's house together. I think we were the first ones there because they were just bringing out all the food. Because I had my tummy full at cik Ros's house, I ate a little bit later than everybody else with a smaller portion. Just having a taste is OK than not eating at all, right?
Next stop: Home! We were going to Kuantan that night and none of us have packed. Aish.. We said goodbye to the house at about 5.00pm. At first, we wanted to stop by Tok Long's house but we got a call that he wasn't home. So we stopped at the Burger King off the MRR2 and bought some food for the 3 hour trip. We made a brief stop at the Temerloh RnR for some hot drinks and bathroom break.At first we played Michael Jackson's songs then, Abah played the Cinta Bollywood Cd. Ah, Bollywood. How I've missed you... We checked in our room at about 9.00pm. The others ordered a late dinner while I quickly changed and went to sleep. Dunno why, but I felt soo tired...

3 Syawal

The hotel only gave us 2 breakfast coupons, which Zaim and Zaid used. Abah bought some nasi minyak for the rest of us. The first agenda for the day is: shopping! Haha. Mama wanted to have a bit of massage so we decided to shop while waiting for her. And guess what I found? mirotic Concert in Seoul CD! And there's even a free file that comes with it!! Ureshii!! We also bought (pirated) DVDs of Haeundae and JiHwan's Secreat Agent. Husna bought me some drinks and Huda wanted to buy some Kenny Rogers. So we 'tapau'ed some Mac'n'Cheese and Whipped Potato. Yum!
We checked out of the hotel and made our way to Sungai Ular where our uncle, Pok Mat lives. He is Abah's eldest brother and has not been feeling well lately. I dunno why, but once again we managed to sleep at his house. Lunch was simple kampung fare, nice..

We made our way home at about 5.00pm. Although the weather was not looking too good, we managed to reach home at 7.45pm. After a bit of unpacking, it's time to hit the sack! But, not after my daily dose of Korean drama. I'm totally into "The Man in The Vineyard" these days. I've seen the ending sometime last year (I think) and it's too cute!! Oh Man Seok and Yoon Eun Hye make a very good pair.

4 syawal

Actually, Mama and Huda were already working that day so we didn't go to any house to 'raya'. Instead, the rest of us went to KLCC. First, we were at the Maxis Centre. Zaim and Abah took a while to settle their business. Then, we had lunch at a Sundanese restaurant. It was OK. I found an Arashi 10 year commemmorative photobook and couldn't resist not buying. And there was also on e little booklet on Jun. Best!! That's basically the highlight of the day..
Hmm, I dunno why but Aidilfitri this year has something totally lacking. We only went to a few houses and spent the rest of the time shopping and sleeping. quite disappointed, I a because this is supposed to be the only time where we could meet relatives and friends that we usually do not meet. If it were not for occasions like this, I doubt we will ever get the chance to see them..

I found this on soompi and thought it was cute. Don't credit me!

No comments: