That's her name in my phone. What happened was she bought a weird looking key chain while we were queing at TGV KLCC and named it Jibam. Somehow, she lost the thing and ever since she had been "Kak Maya Jibam" in my contact list.
I met Kak Maya on 2nd April 2008 unaware of the fate that both of us would share. She was also appointed as a research assistant in IIUM and we worked under the same supervisor. Her real name is Maria but prefers people to call her Maya or Mayat (joke!!). At first we grew close because we were the only ladies in the group at the time.
Happy times in IIUM...
But as we spent more time together I discovered that Kak Maya was also into Japanese and Korean dramas and music. So I introduced her to DBSK. She had heard of them and even has "Kotoba Wa Iranai" on her playlist. Slowly (with my help), she becomes more addicted to DBSK. I would always let her watch recent videos of them and we would listen to their new songs. If I'm not mistaken she was totally hooked with Lovin' You.
We even made TVFXQ Forever T-shirts!!
Aside from DBSK we would also discuss our favourite Korean dramas. Kak Maya was more into Jdramas but I really prefer Kdramas. Since I had quite a collection of Kdramas of my own, I also let her enjoy some of it. We would also go to movies together and at one point it even became a weekly activity.
Me, Kak Maya and Kak Hawe on movie night...
Both of us have since found new jobs which made it difficult to hang out together, especially now that she's working in Perak. She used to come down to KL just so we could hang out, go shopping and eating. It's been a while since we saw a movie together.
We still contact and SMS each other everyday. I burn her DVD's of recent Korean dramas and videos of DBSK or other Korean artists. Recently I got a long email from her saying that we might not be able to hang out as often now because she has a course that takes up all her weekends. That makes me quite sad as I often look forward to our monthly excursions together.

Kak Maya with her big round eyes...
You can say that Kak Maya is like the older sister I never had. It was fun hanging out with her and just be a bit crazy and impulsive. She is the only one who understands my craze for DBSK or any other artist for that matter. So it's easier to spazz and be a total fangirl when I'm with her.
I'm always thankful everytime she makes her way to KL. It kind of makes me feel guilty because I'm troubling her just so I could have some fun. But in the end, I hope her every trip was worthed.
Maya Unnie!! Saranghae!!!
Special gifs for Kak Maya...








No comments:
Post a Comment