Wednesday, March 17, 2010

WHITE DAY

White Day (March 14th) is celebrated in Korea and Japan as the day where the guys give chocolates (or any type of candy) to the girls they like (as opposed to girls giving guys chocolates on valentine's).. So, I thought it was quite cute that Ama had her engagement on White Day (also coincidentally is her first ichiban's otanjobi).

The big event took place at her aunt's house, about 15 minutes from her place by car. I went to pick her up at 9.30 only to remember that I left the camera at home!! Haih.. So, after Ama finished watching Chuck, we headed back to Setiawangsa. We stopped by McDonalds for a sundae and nuggets and then made our way to her aunt's.

We got there at about 12. After we put down our stuff, we joined most of her family at the kitchen. The anak daras' were told to cut the vegetables. Ama helped at first, but she just became an observer when her aunt told her not to hold any sharp objects (thus cutting herself before the ceremony).. Isk3.. Not long after that, we went out again. This time to fetch Kak Ida, Ama's makeup artist cum officemate. We stopped at a nearby 7e for 10 (TEN!!) bags of ice.. Yikes!!


As soon as we got back, Ama got ready.. Her makeup took about an hour to apply.. Meanwhile, some of her school friends came and watched. I took some pictures, played with Kak Ida's babies and generally made myself useful.. Luckily, Ama was all set when Yazid's family came. I didn't get to hear 'THE TALK' because we were upstairs and busy getting Ama ready.


Not long after the guests arrived, Ama's aunt came up and told her to come downstairs.. Yazid's mother came and put a ring on it.. Like in Beyonce's song.. Hahaha.. Naturally, the photo op sesion commenced right after. One by one, Yazid's relatives came and was introduced and then SNAP, happy happy time!!
Yazid, the man of the day came and we were ushered to the dining table. At first, I was content just hanging around and taking pictures of everyone. But Ama's mother practically shoved me in her seat. Since I was actually quite hungry, after the initial decline, I graciously agreed, hoho.. The menu was Laksa Johor, lasagna (Ama's fave yummy food), and mutton stew (I think).. It was all nice..
Juhaida also came for the ceremony, and we shared a seat. When the desert came out (yam cake) we each took a piece. Ama was playing the shy fiancee, so she only had the lasagna and spent most of her time playing with her niece, Khalisa.


After a while, the guests decided it was time that they took leave. So, we exchanged the hantaran (Ama gave 7 and Yazid's are 5 plus the tepak sirih).. More picture taking and then they left.. After everyone has quite calmed down, we cleared everything and FINALLY, Ama can eat!! Haha.. Seriously, I think because I didn't have much to eat earlier in the day, I was practically addicted to her cupcakes. I need the sugar rush, you see.. Being the one to hold the camera, there were few pictures of me.. Sad.. But still, it was nice to be part of someone's special day.. even nicer when that someone is your best friend.. Love you, Ama!! Congrats on your happy day!!

White Day.. get it?

No comments: