Sunday, June 20, 2010

EUROPE CONQUEST PART 1

My trip to Europe and UK was the most amazing trip I had taken. And it was actually the first time I had to take a plane all alone to a whole different country. Needless to say, I was in a constant state of uncertainty throughout the 12 hour flight. Hopefully this will not be my last time in that part of the world. Although the weather needs a bit taking used to, the time I spent was well worthed.

I joined the "Conquest of Europe" organized by Kelana Convoy. As most of my new friends would agree, KC provided cheap budget travels, affordable for the Malaysian students living in the UK and also from other parts of the world. There were even Singaporeans, a family from Brunei and a group of Malaysian students studying in the US who joined. Me and other 140 participants traveled to 8 countries in just 15 days. Just as a summary, from London we travelled to the Netherlands, passing through Belgium. Then we went to Germany for a night. Next was Austria and and then we moved further down to Italy where we stopped by Vatican City.We spent about 4 nights there and then climbed up the Swiss Alps in Switzerland before heading to our final destination, Paris. I went to meet Illi in Manchester and spent some time in there before both of us traveled to London. There we met Illi's friends; Alin and Sue. So initially there were four of us in our little group but Alin had swollen feet and had to go back after Venice. We also met a few new great friends and a whole lot of good friends. We spent most of the nights in cabins (you have to pay extra for those) but we had to sleep in a tent in Austria and Frankfurt. It was definitely a challenge putting up a tent in the freezing cold rain. The group separated in London where I caught up with Mama and Abah for a day. They sent me to Manchester where I said goodbye to Illi and flew home. If I go on and recount the days in order, I think that will be one mighty lengthy post. So, I'm just going to break the highlights down country by country. So here's Part 1:

UNITED KINGDOM (UK)


Manchester
Since Illi was my partner-in-crime for this trip, naturally I booked a flight to Manchester instead of to London. When I arrived, Illi took me around town and also to her lab (Yeay!). She even brought me to the Old Trafford because it would be kinda sad to be in Manchester and not go Man U's place. Sadly both of us forgot our cameras and I didn't really feel like going to the museum so we ended up shopping there for my brothers and also a few friends.
London
As fate would have it, Mama and Abah arrived in London on the very same day that my trip ended so we get to spend one day together before I head dome. Yeay!! We had breakfast at the Malaysia Hall (where I met some of my new friends, again!).. The parental unit had nasi lemak and I opted for roti canai and hot Milo. Yummies.. We went to Trafalgar Square sans pigeons. And then got in line for about one hour to get in Madam Tussaud's. Unfortunately Shahrukh's wax was just transferred to France, so I only managed to get pictures with Zac Effron, Johny Depp and a bunch of others too. LOVE!


BELGIUM
The KC group actually didn't make a stop and just passed through Belgium, after we got off the ferry in Dover, Paris on our way to the Netherlands. And where else for our brief stop than at a chocolate factory!! Belgian chocolates are so.. like.. sedap.. I brought some chocolates (like DUH!!) and a lollipop. None of us were permitted to go to the back of the building though, to see how the chocolate was made.


NETHERLANDS
Our first night in Uitdam was cold and wet. And it definitely didn't help that our cabin was on the other side of the camp so we had to walk all the way from one side to the other for our food. The next day we took pictures at the Dike and also went to a cheese and clog factory, where we saw demonstrations on how to make.. erm.. cheese and clog.. I LOVE the picture of me in the giant yellow clog, I look so cute! Haha.. Also, Illi went completely crazy for the sheeps nearby the place and insisted to have picture with them. And being in the Netherlands, we just had had HAD to take pictures with a real life windmill. Even though it was drizzling, hence the umbrella. Just a note, Illi's umbrella will make several appearnaces in the pictures as it would be raining or the sun would beat on us profusely during the few days of the trip.


Volendam
Volendam is a beautiful and picturesque little town, located next to a pier. The flowers were crazy beautiful. We went to a shop where they took pictures of us in groups wearing Dutch costumes. Totally cute, but I look kinda clumpy.. And it was also kinda adorable that the cameragirls were like ,"Duduk.. Kanan.. Kiri.." because as you may know, some Malay words are taken from Dutch. And then all of us got together and had fried seafood (calamari, prawns, fish) which was not-so-cheap.. Heh..


Amsterdam
We were only given 3 hours to spend in Amsterdam, the first of which was kinda wasted (IMO) when we took the canal cruise. But we do get to see almost all of Amsterdam, a few boathouses, the Nemo and also get to take cover inside the boat while it was raining outside. Right after the cruise we found I amsterdam and stopped by Hard Rock Cafe. I squealed so hard when I saw a Fitness First sign when we were in a tram going to HRC. Didn't get to see the actual gym though. I also didn't get to go see the Red Light District though because we were running out of time and I needed to buy magnets. They were surprisingly cheaper there.


GERMANY
Frankfurt
Frankfurt is the largest financial center in Europe and is home to several several large commercial banks. We took a picture with the huge Euro sign in the middle of the city. And right in front of us where old architectural buildings still erect opposite new futuristic skyscrapers. Then, we went to Romer, with the most picturesque town square when it started to rain. I fell in love with an I love Germany shirt there, which will be the first of many shirts I end up buying this whole trip. There was one teddy bear shop, not unlike the one I went to in Korea, which was a bit like whoaa.. We walked along the Frankfurt Am Main the river and saw a few cruise ships and took picture on the bridge before deciding to go back.


Fussen
The Neuschwanstein castle was said to be Mr. Disney's source of inspiration for the Sleeping Beauty castle. We took a horse ride going up to the mountain-perched castle (I get to take picture with cute little Daniel!!) and walked to the bridge of Marionbrucke for a better view of the castle. And it was soo totally worthed. The view was amazing, not only of the castle but the surrounding nature was breathtaking. Kak Erin had a little problem with heights and kept asking me not to jump around on the bridge.. LOL..We walked down to the bus, stopping by the clear blue lake for pictures.



AUSTRIA
Inssbruck
Austria is the headquarters of the Swarovski crystals, where crystal clear uhm.. crystals were on display and sale. We oohed and aahed at the crystals but the ladies eventually swarmed the sale area. I only bought myself a box of crystals and then we walked around town. We saw the famous Golden Roof where the royalties sit to enjoy the tournaments in the square below. Sadly, I don't think I took a picture with the famous roof because we were kinda distracted with a silver statue right in the middle of the square. On our way to the bus, we passed through a park with a huge tree. I couldn't resist the opportunity to not take a picture with it. Then, we went to see the ski-jumping Winter Olympic stadium in Bergisel and took pictures with the famous 5 rings.

So there you have it, the first part of my Europe trip. Phew. Need to go and work on the second part now.. Ciao!

No comments: