Monday, July 18, 2011

RELAY FOR LIFE 2011 (KUALA LUMPUR)

For some odd reason, lots of people thought 16th July would be the perfect date to organize their event.. Merck had their treasure hunt, Fitness First had a Miracle event, AMAR had an open house, and it was also the day of RFL KL. Maybe because it's a few weeks shy of Ramadhan.. Anyway, Fitness First had their Miracle event for the entire day at Empire Subang. They set up tent outside the shopping complex where ShowOff performances and also classes took place. The staff and instructors have been hyping up the event, selling coupons and T-shirt to members, all in the name of charity. There are also a couple of classes going on in the gym itself; one of which was Line Dance Funk.. So it was a no-brainer that me and Ama headed there if only for Bernard's class. Woo!! We saw a few ShowOff performances and then had to take-off after I bought myself a grande Java Chip frap. Yum..




I would've stayed the whole day at the Empire Subang except for the fact that I had committed to volunteering for RFL KL with Aunty Darl (including Ama and hubby Yazid).. We got to UKM Stadium later than promised (even got slightly lost) and proceeded to report to Aunty as soon as we got there.. We found the surau, changed into our yellow T-shirt and walked around the stadium taking pictures.


The event proper started at 6pm, with cancer survivors (in purple) started the relay with much applause from the participants in yellow.. They carried banners and some even had on costumes.. Then, it was the yellow people's turn on the tracks and who do you think lead the way carrying NCSM banners? Why.. Us of course!! We screamed and laughed and had to slow down our walk because the others at the back couldn't catch up.. LOL..


I think by now I've bought my Mocha frap from the Starbucks vehicle parked at the F&B section. But not before we bought our Luminarias and did some decorating.. I dedicated mine to Mok Nab.. May her soul rest in peace.. Then, a few more rounds on the track.. We decided to buy our dinner (meatball with gravy and mashed potato for me!!) right before the Luminaria session but I only ate mine after the session has ended. There was a tribute to Liza, a former cancer survivor who lost her battle in May. Her two sons went up the stage and bravely gave a speech. After a video presentation all the luminarias were lit up and a slow procession started. One interesting fact is that the only time the track is allowed to be empty is during Luminaria.




Dini and Adma then dragged us to join one of the games. Although we just had dinner (and also my Mango Passion frap) we got in line. We formed a team of five and were briefed on the rules: blow the flour off and scoop up the candy.. And the group next to us is lead by none other than Adam.. Luckily for us, Dini went first and she blew hard enough to send the flour flying, revealing almost all the candies. It was funny when she and Adam were fighting over the same flour.. LOL.. We got second and was in high spirits by the end of the game..


Mama, Abah, Huda and Husna came a bit later to escort Tun Jeanne Abdullah in RFL KL. She got here later so she missed some of the earlier performances on stage. The line dances were fun (Achy Breaky Heart was pure FUN) and the traditional Malay dance got everybody swaying their hands. The Miss RFL was hilarious, people were screaming and shouting their favourite Miss (who for the uninitiated is NOT a Miss, rather a Mister..).. I danced with Ama when we heard LDF songs, like right in the middle of the field.. Awesome.. As it was nearing midnight I quickly got in line for my last frap of the day (Java Chip again..)..


Come 2am everything started to quiet down. Games were still going on and our shift officially began. I manned the merchandise counter while Ama and Yazid were at the information counter. Previously we went to Aunty's hotel room with Dini to freshen up. I asked Husna to keep me company.. Threaten actually since she preferred to hang out with her friends. And I asked her to buy some food when an uncle stopped by and said that the F&B were closing. She did leave me when Alya, Aunty's eldest came. By 4am there were no more customers and the morning air was very cold. People had started dozing off and when Aunty came by I asked for some nap time in my car (the hotel room was already full and we forgot to book tents). Me and Alya were just about to drift off when Husna knocked on the window and the three of us had a brief sleep until 7am.


After freshening up, I went back to the merchandise counter. Ama and Yazid got breakfast (Milo and Fitnesse cereal). We enjoyed the yoga and aerobic sessions.. Then it's working time again as we had to help with cleaning up and clearing the tent. I did a few laps around the track all by myself and finished just before the last relay at 10am. We stayed behind just long enough to burst the balloons and then cleaning that mess up before we bid adieu and went home. Can't wait for next years'!! Go NCSM!! Go RFL!!!



No comments: