Friday, September 26, 2008

HOW I FELL IN LOVE WITH DBSK

In conjunction with the release of DBSK's 4th Album, I just felt like sharing this...

I first got to know Dong Bang Shin Ki (DBSK) in 2006, sometime after my industrial training. I was just beginning my korean drama craze and found out that there was this segment in MTV Asia called Asian Takeaway where they'll show two music videos (henceforth shall be shortened to MV) from any Asian artist back to back. The catch is they only show 2 songs every hour.

Initially I was following the segment religiously because I was trying to catch the Perhaps Love MV from the kdrama Goong aka Princess Hours. Since they only show two songs per hour you can imagine how determined I was to see that MV. This segment is also one of the reasons why I was always late for my first 'job' as Research Assistant in UIA. Heh..

Anyway back to the true objective of the story. While I was happily watching the MVs, one MV caught my eye. I thought it was really cool coz it has this really powerful dance and the song suddenly breaks into this interesting bridge that I had never heard before. I didn't really pay much attention to the singers (it was a boyband) but their music was really interesting. The music went from having hard beats to melancholic without jarring the flow of the sound. I forgot about the MV but I guess the uniqueness of the music stayed with me because some time later I heard the same song.. But in a different language!!

At first I was a bit confused because the MV was different too. So I made a mental note of the singer and the song. The display read
Artist: TVFXQ
Song Title: Rising Sun

I had no idea how that could totally change my life. With the name of the artist in mind I did some searching on the Internet. I found out that their name can switch according to region, they are more popularly known as Dong Bang Shin Ki in Korea, as Tohoshinki in Japan and they like to use the name TVXQ (or TVFXQ) when promoting themselves outside of Korea and Japan. I managed to download some of their other songs and was just basically a fan of their music. I found out that I had heard (or saw to be more precise) both versions of Rising Sun, in Korean and Japanese.. Can't really put a finger on which is first..

Edit: At first I wanted to post the videos but for some reason I can't seem to find the Japanese version online. So, here a few screencaps I made of the two MVs.

Korean version: I love the mood of this MV. I made caps of Jaejoong and Changmin because they were the ones that drew my eyes first.



Japanese version: I really loved their looks and energy in this MV. Actually Changmin also looked hot in this version but I made caps of Junsu and Yoochun because they were cute. Haha...


Later I found out that a couple of my friends were also into DBSK and they provided me with some of their performances, videos etc.. )I wasn't really good at finding KPop stuff then).. I got to know the five boys better and slowly fell into their charm.. I'm still falling, actually..

So, basically Rising Sun made me fall in love with DBSK. It is still one of my most favourite track for DBSK, not only because of its nostalgic value but because the song itself never gets old for me. I've listened to the fourth album but none of the songs can top Rising Sun (for me la...). So, to celebrate the fourth album (titled MIROTIC), here's the cover of the album (version A). Till next time...

No comments: