Friday, October 31, 2008

PRIVATE SPEECH

"Popular opinion may have it down as the first sign of madness, but scientists have found that talking to yourself is good for you. People on public transport deal with travel stress by quietly humming, singing or talking to themselves "sub-audibly" so no one else could hear. Lead Researcher of Nottingham Trent University Dr. Glenn Williams likens talking to oneself to keeping a diary, a positive way of reflecting one's life"
-Reader's Digest November 2008 Ed pg 140 SPEAK FOR YOURSELF

I talk to myself everytime and sometimes even in public places (thanks to Korean dramas where the actors tend to talk to themselves to convey their feelings in certain situations). I think talking to myself helps a lot in organizing my thoughts. There were a few times when I had to make choices and decisions and I would just list everything out loud and just identify how I feel about certan issues and get some perpsective. I just need some things to be spoken out loud. Which is why I like to read out loud when I'm studying because it makes me concentrate a bit more on what I need to learn. I am an auditory person (smiles)...
And also since I left IIUM I haven't been using English that much.. (I only use English when talking to myself, evident from this blog..) When I was in IIUM I had to talk in English, especially to foreigners almost everyday. Nowadays I rarely get to speak English so it is kind of imperative that I talk to myself, if only just to use English in a daily basis.
People around me (family, coworkers, friends, ex-roommates) always remarked on my private speech. I would often laugh out loud or just be like talking to someone when they find out that I'm completely by myself. That's why I think most of them think I'm kind of cooky. But they love me anyway, hee..
But the fact is that I tell myself all my secrets. Sometimes there'd be one thought niggling at the back of my head that I know that I can't tell anyone. So I just do it in front of a mirror. Having a mirror helps when you are talking to yourself. It kind of makes you feel that someone else is there.. Weird.. It is also as the article I cited above says, a great way to destress and just put everything out so that you won't have any negative energy bottled up inside.
I love talking to myself because I love me. Who better to love you than yourself, right? And who else would have the patience to stand all your nonsencial blabberings but yourself, right?
So, why not?
So to anybody just getting to know me, don't be weirded out when I talk to myself, OK? I think I'm finished now. See you next time!!

No comments: